Hyper-V Guest Virtual Machines Fail to Start on Dell Optiplex 960

Add a comment May 1st, 2010

So, when I first started working for Microsoft, my manager approved an awesome Dell OptiPlex 960 with tons of RAM and CPU so that I would be able to have an AWESOME testng environment.  So…ummmm…over one year later…I am ready to start using it to actually do something.  I install Windows 2008 Server R2 Enterprise and I’m ready to start deploying my virtual machines, and what happens:

“VM Name” could not be initialized.

The virtual machine could not be started because the hypervisor is not running.

Here are the BIOS setting that I had to configure:

Restart the System, during the boot process, press F12, and select  “System Setup” to go set the BIOS parameters. Then do the below:

1. Under Security -> Enable CPU XD ( aka Execute Disable)-> set to ON -> click “Apply”
  2. Under PerformanceVirtualization -> set to ON -> click “Apply”
  3. Under PerformanceVT for Direct I/O Access -> set to ON -> click “Apply”
  4. Under PerformanceTrusted Execution -> set to Off -> click “Apply”

“Save & Exit,” power off the machine and remove the power plug for 30 secs, plug it back in, and power the system back on.

You should now be able to start your Virtual Machines from the Hyper-V console without error…

1. June 15th, 2011 at 23:32 | #1

I am curious to find out what blog platform you happen to be utilizing? I’m having some small security problems with my latest website and I would like to find something more secure. Do you have any suggestions?

2. July 14th, 2011 at 07:31 | #2

Arden, I use WordPress…

3. August 21st, 2014 at 23:04 | #3

I see you share interesting things here, you can earn some additional
    cash, your blog has huge potential, for the monetizing method, just type in google –
    K2 advices how to monetize a website

4. December 11th, 2015 at 17:57 | #4

Good information.This is all wronikg for me, but I would like to find a solution for one thing. If a document has been copied previously into the library that I have my send to copying into then I get an error, ( Copying to the destination did not complete successfully ) when I try to do a send to the second time. Because of an existing work flow and attempting to keep things as simple as possible for the user, I need them to be able to just select the send to option and replace the existing copy. Do you know if there is anyway to get past the error when attempting to send to an existing file?Thanks in advance

5. March 29th, 2016 at 08:43 | #5

I’m so glad that the internet allows free info like this!

6. April 14th, 2016 at 07:32 | #6

Keep these articles coming as they’ve opened many new doors for me.

7. April 28th, 2016 at 17:33 | #7

Gary, are you really this stupid ? Roosevelt set up Pearl Harbor to get the US into the war because the New Deal failed and our Israel First policy brought on 9-11. YOU miss the point that moron Bush made Obama possible.

8. May 12th, 2016 at 18:34 | #8

I would like to apply for a job when Morrisons come to Carterton, either as a pharmacy assistant or office assistant, ideally working 9 – 5 Mon – Fri, when the job vacancies become available.Please could you let me know when as I am desperate to change jobs.

9. July 8th, 2016 at 07:08 | #9

Four. Maddie made her famous chicken skewers (which are actually BakedBree’s famous kabobs), I mixed up a delicious bread dip which we spread on Mom’s homemade French bread toasted in

10. July 13th, 2016 at 01:16 | #10

Gibt es eine Aufzeichnung dieses Webinars (Einstiegsgehälter von Hochschulabsolventen – IT-Gehälter” – Marco-Tobias Arnold & Thomas Thüring, alma mater GmbH) da ich gestern aufgrund meiner Bachelorarbeit in einer Firma leider verhindert war :-/Viele GrüßeReiner

11. October 30th, 2018 at 03:09 | #11

Flowers are actually once more scorching.

1. No trackbacks yet.